By Jack and Suzy Welch
If you’ve ever managed people, chances are you’ve had your share of sure-fire leadership successes, along with a few tough missteps and “wish I had knowns” — and probably learned a thing or two from all three. In no particular order, here are a few essential threads of wisdom we’ve collected over the years to add to your playbook. Let’s save you from having to figure them out on your own:
1. Your company’s values and your personal values must be compatible.
2. Differentiation breeds meritocracy. Sameness breeds mediocrity.
3. In a performance culture, actions have to have consequences — positive or negative.
4. Creating an environment of candor and trust is a must.
5. Attracting, developing and retaining world-class talent is your never-ending job.
6. You must distinguish between coachable development needs in your people and fatal flaws.
7. Simple, consistent, focused communications travel faster and are understood better by the organization.
8. There is nothing more developmental and illuminating than dealing with adversity.
9. Over time, you have to develop a real generosity gene — and love to see each person on your team earn raises, get promotions and grow personally.
10. Continuous learning is critical for success — make it a priority.
Lawton Retirement Plan Consultants, LLC (LRPC’s) Monday Morning Minute is crafted to provide decision-maker’s with important information about the economy, investments and corporate retirement plans in a format that allows a reader to consume the information in less than 60 seconds. As an independent, objective investment adviser, LRPC has access to many sources of research and shares the best and most relevant information with its readers each week.
Lawton Retirement Plan Consultants, LLC is a Milwaukee, Wisconsin-based independent, objective Registered Investment Advisory (RIA) firm providing investment advisory, fiduciary compliance, employee education, vendor management and plan design services to retirement plan sponsors. The firm currently has contracts in place to provide consulting services on more than $400 million in plan assets. For more information, please contact Robert C. Lawton at (414) 828-4015 or email@example.com or visit the firm’s website at https://www.lawtonrpc.com. Lawton Retirement Plan Consultants, LLC is a Wisconsin Registered Investment Adviser.
This information was developed as a general guide to educate plan sponsors and is not intended as authoritative guidance, tax, legal or investment advice. Each plan has unique requirements and you should consult your attorney or tax adviser for guidance on your specific situation. In no way does Lawton Retirement Plan Consultants, LLC assure that, by using the information provided, plan sponsor will be in compliance with ERISA regulations. Investors should carefully consider investment objectives, risks, charges and expenses. The statements in this publication are the opinions and beliefs of the commentator expressed when the commentary was made and are not intended to represent that person’s opinions and beliefs at any other time. The commentary does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Lawton Retirement Plan Consultants, LLC and should not be construed as recommendations or investment advice. Lawton Retirement Plan Consultants, LLC offers no tax, legal or accounting advice and any advice contained herein is not specific to any individual, entity or retirement plan, but rather general in nature and, therefore, should not be relied upon for specific investment situations. Lawton Retirement Plan Consultants, LLC is a Wisconsin Registered Investment Adviser and accepts clients outside of Wisconsin based upon applicable state registration regulations and the “de minimus” exception.